Did you know that exercise is like medicine!
Kris Tynan says YES it is! Your brain LOVES exercise!
You may have heard of the term ‘neuroplasticity’.
The ‘plastic’ part of that word refers to our brain’s incredible ability to reorganise and rewire itself.
Research shows that this quality staves off the effects of MCI (Mild Cognitive Impairment) and the more serious brain issues like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s.
Previously we believed that brain cell numbers declined with age and there was nothing to be done about it.
It turns out that this is bunkum!
It is possible to retrain your brain AT ANY AGE.
‘Miracle-Gro’ for the Brain
Exercise is crucial to neuroplasticity because it promotes the production of BDNF (Brain Derived Neurotrophic Factor) which is like “Miracle-Gro” for our brain.
It ‘fertilises’ axonal sprouting (when nerve dendrites reach out and reconnect with other nerve networks bypassing damaged neurons.)
Pretty cool huh?
So what sort of exercise helps with increasing BDNF?
Anything that raises your heart rate and gets you huffing and puffing.
Walking briskly, cycling, dancing, swimming or taking classes will all make you work a little harder than normal.
Try to do at least 20-30 minutes most days.
Think of exercise as medicine… It can also be great fun!
It is never too early to start and never too late to begin.
Exercise can be fun – as well as medicine for the whole body, including the brain
Kris Tynan has developed a unique kit, complete with helpful routines. You can buy her Super Senior Kit $59.00.
Sue from Aircycle has these tips for those who are unable to have strenuous exercise.
- It’s still possible to keep moving and have useful physical activity – even if you are confined to your chair most of the day.
- Seated exercise can be extremely beneficial. It boosts blood circulation and works joints and muscles to strengthen them.
- Good circulation carries blood throughout the body and nourishes the cells – including the brain cells.
- It’s easy to keep the blood circulating – even in cold, wet weather or at the end of a tiring day. You can use an Aircycle while you watch TV or sit at an office desk.
- Learn more about the health benefits of the Aircycle. You can buy one for just $39.90